Wednesday, September 13, 2006

What I’m Listening To:

Here are the jewels my iPod dealt out this morning

Stevie Ray Vaughn, Crossfire
BeeGees, Night Fever
Aerosmith, Dude Looks Like a Lady
Sansévérino, Mal Ô Mains
Coralie Clément, La Mer Opale
Stevie Ray Vaughn, If the House Is a’Rockin’
Paris Combo, Traits de Caractere
Rod Stewart, Stardust
Animotion, Obsession
Barenaked Ladies, It’s All Been Done

Doing this has been fun. My head’s always hurting so badly that I tend to put on some light instrumental music as background noise during the day, but can’t really listen to much else. I’ve been able to get my 10 songs played in the morning, and about the time I get to song #10, my head’s hurting badly enough that I have to turn it off. But then I have 10 songs that I get to think about during the day. I occasionally get an earworm—today’s is Obsession. I hate that song. I’m not sure why I have it in my mix.

I just read a bit of sublime Firefly fan fiction. If you are a Firefly geek, I strongly recommend checking it out. You can find it at: http://juliefortune.livejournal.com/43425.html. The writer captures the voices of the characters beautifully.

Oh, and by the way, don’t think that means I regularly read fan fiction. I don’t. Well, not often, anyway. Liz pointed me toward this one, and as she is the consummate Joss Whedon fan, I trusted her. And my trust was rewarded. I blush to confess, however, that I have also been reading Trixie Belden fan fiction to amuse myself in the slow times. Most of it is sheer dreck, but there are a few writers whose stuff I’ve enjoyed. One is good enough that I wish she’d drop the fan fiction and write a good novel. I’d read it.

Á la Wendy, I downloaded some fun blinkies to my computer. But I don’t know how to get them to play on my blog template. Once I figure it out, they’ll be up there for your pleasure and enjoyment.

I’m still reading a lot of Piers Anthony. I’m about 2/3’s of the way through A Spell for Chameleon, and finished The Pale Horse yesterday. In the “Incarnations of Immortality” series, I have now started on Book 2, Bearing an Hourglass. Being the medievalist that I am, I was utterly delighted to see a descendent of Sir Gawain (even pronounced properly) in ghostly form in the opening of the book.

I’ll close with a thought for the day: “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.”—Ralph Waldo Emerson. Note that he instructed us to drink the wild AIR, not the wild BEER. Beer Bad! (Season 4 of Buffy).

2 comments:

Izzybella said...

Speaking of, I'm half-way through the P. Anthony you gave me to read. Pretty good stuff!

Sam said...

Well, I thikn I'm getting old, because most of the names you meantioned were completely alien to me - that is until you said P.A.
I've read the first, oh 12-15 of his Xanth series and all of the Incarnations.
I loved the first dozen of Xanth, but as he goes I think he starts writing them more for young teens.
The Incarnations are a wonderful idea, and a few of them are good, but I hate to say I was a little dissapointed in a couple of them.
But that's just me. Read on - that's the adventure! :-)