Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Another Book Meme

What can I say? I love books. No surprise, that.

1. You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451. Which book do you want to be?

Jane Eyre. I've read that book so many times I know bits of it by heart already. I would say any of the Harry Potters, as I know much more of them by heart, but I figure there are plenty o' people out there who would like to be Harry Potter. So I'll stick with Jane Eyre.

2. Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

Amusingly enough, I used to have a crush on Mr. Rochester, until I met my stepfather. There is a line Mr. Rochester says to Jane that sounds just like it came out of my stepfather's mouth: "Young lady, I am disposed to be gregarious and communicative tonight." So I quit jonesing for Mr. Rochester. And I did have a bit of a crush on Sirius Black until he bit it. I sort of had a thing for Heathcliff, but he turned into such a nasty git that I got over that one real quick. But the fictional character who still owns that part of my heart is Benedick. I'll always love Benedick.

3. The last book you bought is:

A Spell for Chameleon, by Piers Anthony. I'm on a Piers Anthony binge right now.

4. The last book you read is:

Ghosts of Albion: Accursed, by Christopher Golden and Amber Benson. I ripped it off from my sister, who probably wants me to give it back. I guess I will. But it was good. I'm looking forward to reading the next Albion book.

5. What are you currently reading?

A Spell for Chameleon, see above.

6. Five books you would take to a deserted island:

Harry Potter (I'm counting the whole series as one book, whether you like it or not.) :-)

Vanity Fair. I've tried multiple times to read that blasted book, and haven't yet been able to wade through Thackeray's turgid prose. Perhaps if I were stranded on a deserted island and all the other books were eroded by the elements and only Vanity Fair were left, I might read it. Maybe. Or I might take my chances with the sharks. One never knows.

Les Miserables. That's a dang long book, might take me a day or two to read. It'd kill a little time, and I could amuse myself by singing "Who am I? Who am I? I'm Jean Valjean!"

The Watcher's Guides. Again, I'm counting several books as one. But they'd be cool because they've got episode summaries, quotations, interviews, pictures -- I could relive the Buffy glory days and amuse myself for a while.

And to finish it off, how about Samuel Pepys' diaries? (Once more, of course, counting many volumes as one book.) They'd take a while to read, and are dang fascinating reading.


I'm not going to bother tagging anyone. My sister will rip this meme off anyway, and the others whose responses I'd love to see (ahem, Clover, Trista, Wendy) probably won't do it anyway. Well, Trista might. But she's really swamped right now; I'd hate to add to her burden. Oh, and if I may add one more book to my deserted island list, I'm going to add Crocodile on the Sandbank, by Elizabeth Peters (the first Amelia Peabody book). Bonus!

1 comment:

Trista said...

Hey Faith, I AM planning on doing this meme. It's just my answers would be a little embarassing right now... (to the questions about the last book you bought and the last book you read...)

So I'm waiting until I look a little smarter!