Tuesday, September 05, 2006

A Moment of Clarity

As I mentioned earlier, today's been a rough day. Pain, stress at work, and stupid little accidents. I came home and stuffed my face, like that's really going to help. All it did is give me a stomach ache, use the rest of my weekly points allowance, and make me a little apprehensive about Saturday's weigh-in. I then took some medicine for my headache. Two hours later, I took some more. I'm finally starting to feel sleepy now, which is a good thing. But in between the time it took for the medicine to kick in, I had a moment of clarity after a bout of sobbing.

Okay. Here's the thing. When I went to work for CPS, I did it because I wanted to help people. It hit me this evening that I don't know if I really did help anyone at all. (Hence the sobbing.) On one hand I think that taking that job was the number one worst mistake I've ever made in my life. But on the other hand, I felt so clear, so positive that it was what I needed to do at that time in my life. I met some amazing people, people that I just loved and would have done anything possible for, and people that could not see beyond their own immediate needs to take care of their families.

As I was thinking of that tonight, and thinking how much I loved the people I served, how much I wanted to help them reach for something better, I began thinking about the Savior. I know how much he loves me, and started wondering how many times he feels as sorrowful over my choices as I did over the choices of the families I worked with. How many times has he grieved as I stubbornly clung to my own immediate needs to the detriment of my true needs?

This isn't a new thought. I beat myself up pretty frequently over my bad choices. And I know that beating myself up isn't helpful, but I do it anyway. It's just that the thought hit me with such a peculiar clarity tonight that it brought an immediate sense of peace. I thought of a verse in Isaiah, where the Lord invites me to "reason together" with him. Sometimes my faith wavers just a bit, not in God or in Jesus Christ, but in myself. Sometimes I wonder if this is the right church. Sometimes I wonder if any of this even matters, if there is any point in the suffering I've experienced. But in those moments like that I had tonight, I know that it does matter. There is a point. I matter.

Today at work I tuned into the BYU radio station, playing the instrumental stream. I can't say that it brought a lot of peace in my hectic day, but I did notice and appreciate it. And it must have sunk in, because as I thought about things tonight I began to hear the words of those hymns. "Where can I turn for peace? Where is my solace, when other sources cease to make me whole?" I wanted to go play the piano, something I haven't done in quite some time, but Joe has blocked the path to my piano with all his musical equipment.

I think I want to move the piano back into the living room. And I am glad to know that life matters, and that even though I make a dreadful muddle of things so much of the time, I can go to the Lord and he and I can reason together.

I'm not saying this anything like as clearly as I can understand it, but I just don't know how to say it any better. While I was at CPS, I felt the strongest sense of purpose. When I got up in the morning, I felt like it was going to make a difference in someone's life. That's a big difference from now, when all I do is go pull credit bureau reports and prepare spreadsheets for a few hours, and then spend the rest of the day writing or reading or doing whatever I can to amuse myself. It makes me wonder if there is still a purpose in my life, because nothing I do at work is even remotely earth-shattering in importance. But I work hard, and I do the work of two people in less than half the time of one person, so I feel that I earn the money I make. And I try to be a good person. And I matter, and there is a purpose to my life, even if I don't know what it is. That's a good thing to know.

2 comments:

Sam said...

God made us with free will. What sets each person apart is what they do with that will. If you make mistakes (hence the human aspect) and are able to recognize them and learn from them, then you do not fail.
He knows we are not perfect, but can only strive towards it. To reach for this unattainable state of beingis truly noble. We are doomed to fail at it, but that's not the point - to try to be better than you are is.
We fall - we get up.

Izzybella said...

Well, I was going to come in and say something inspirational, but as usual, Sam Wright did a better job.

This is one of the things I've always loved about you. You've been knocked on your butt multiple times and you always get back up. I know you get tired of always having to get back up--I completely understand--but each time you come back with one of your epiphanies and you wind up inspiring others whether you realize it or not.

At any rate, I'm sendin' the love.

Liz

PS--the beauty of WW is that every single day is a new day. Don't beat yourself up too much, okay?