Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Neurologist appointment update

I met with the neurologist today. I really like him. He was very thorough in his explanations, listened to what I had to say, and showed that he cares about helping me get better. Basically, I'm in what he described as a "headache rut." He gave me some samples and a prescription of something that should start working within a few weeks. It's safe to take long-term, as treatment for migraines is actually a secondary use to what it was initially approved for.

I looked up the drug, and it has some potential positive side effects. It will at least have a neutral effect on my weight, which is great after having taken so many different things that had an adverse effect on my weight; furthermore, it has been shown to cause weight loss in some people. Bonus! Would that I am one of those people! And it apparently also makes carbonated drinks, particularly diet sodas, taste rankly repulsive, also good for my diet. Yes, I do drink diet sodas, but I do better weight-loss wise when I stick to water. So yay again.

He said if I have any adverse reactions to the drug to call him; otherwise, I'll go back in a month for a follow up. So the news that I've got probably two more weeks before I even start having any time without a headache makes me sad, but the thought that I'll start having time without headaches in as few as two weeks makes me happy. For now, I'm just looking forward to going home and crashing. It's been a pain-filled day.

1 comment:

Sam said...

Well, I hope the drug works! Big hugs for ya till then :-)