Thursday, September 21, 2006

The S Project

Use this line: "What exactly is a bergamot, anyway?"
__________________________________________________

I think I heard about one word in ten. The man could talk, no question about it. But he was so interested in himself that I'm not sure he even knew I was there. Theo fancied himself an oenophile, and was blathering on about this wine and that.

I don't like phonies. And I was definitely getting the phony vibe from Theo. So I decided to test him. "What exactly is a bergamot, anyway?" I asked innocently.

"Aah, bergamot," he smiled knowingly. "Have you ever had bergamot? It is a warm, rich red wine from Italy. It's very," he paused--searching for just the right word-- "subtle."

I smiled slightly, successfully repressing a snicker.

Encouraged by my response, he went on talking about wine. He had evidently been reassured of my complete ignorance, and felt free to continue my education.

Okay. He's a phony. Time to bring him down. The waiter hovered nearby, and I signaled him over. "I'd like a cup of Earl Grey, please."

"Certainly. And you, sir?"

"That sounds wonderful. I'll have one as well."

As we sipped our hot teas, Theo commented on the unusual flavor.

I smiled. "It's bergamot."

"I beg your pardon?" he asked, stiffly.

"Bergamot. The Bergamot orange gives Earl Grey tea its unique flavor."

He didn't move.

I continued. "Bergamot is also available in essential oils, and is good for skin conditions and halitosis. You might want to give it a try." I signaled the waiter and paid for my meal.

I looked at Theo, observing the red creeping up his face. "If you had actually conversed with me, instead of lecturing me, you might have learned that I'm a sommelier. Then you would have avoided looking like an idiot, and we might have had a second date."

I left. I know I was cruel, but life is too short for me to saddle myself with narcissistic imbeciles.

7 comments:

Plimco said...

Woo HOO! Snap! Yay. I know I probably shouldn't tell you this, but the bergamot was MY idea. Well, Trista asked "What exactly IS a Bergamot anyway?" because it is my new favorite word and I've been drinking buckets of Earl Gray lately. I try to say it every day. Over and over and over.

Bergamot bergamot bergamot.

yay.

It sort of rhymes with robot.

You know what ELSE it's good for? Depression! I know! Wacky wacky stuff.

Anyhow. I enjoyed your snappy bergamot retort and the fact that it was ingested before it was revealed.

Honestly. Psst. (Lowers voice to a whisper) I was pretty afeared that everyone would think my bergamot idea was stupid and no one would write about it and I'd have to hide in corners in shame. Psst. Thanks for writing about it.

Bergamotbergamotbergamot

Spin_Doc1 said...

I hope this one is true!

Izzybella said...

Sweet. If I were Alannah, I'd be all, "OH! Snap!" Sadly I'm nowhere near as fun and cute as Alannah!

Sam said...

Great story! You really have to watch out for those oenophiles, especially the ones with 7 hairy legs. Or was that on Star Trek?
Anyway I just loved it!

Anonymous said...

Love the story and the ending is just superb. I think the bit about bergamot's use for halitosis is one of the best put downs I've ever read.

Fantastic read.

Faith said...

Thanks for the kind input. I had fun writing it, but alas! I'm far too nice to be so cruel to someone in real life.

Ditto said...

That was funny. I could only hope to be that ballsy in real life. An enjoyable short story.