Monday, December 05, 2005

Some Passing Thoughts on Passing Gas

Anyone who knows me well knows that I unfortunately find farting incredibly funny. I think that the main reason has to do with the fact that it is a great common factor amongst all human beings. No matter how elevated in status someone might be, that person farts. I think it also has to do with sitting in the backseat on long car trips as a child, and mentally comparing the output of my parents.

This makes the prospective of teaching a little unnerving for me. How will I manage to restrain the urge to cheer on some 5th-grade boy who lets out a loud one?

Anyway, the reason that this is on my mind this afternoon is because I eat the same thing for breakfast every morning--two packets of Kashi cereal--and for my morning snack--a cup of fruit--and for lunch--a sandwich with some lettuce on it. So why is it that some days I scarcely fart once, and other days, like today, I'm like a trumpet blatting incessantly? Even I'm embarrassed today, and I'm in my own office!! Of course, I do have people come in quite frequently, so the chances of being overheard are most excellent.

Ask not for whom the fart blats; it blats for thee!

No comments: