Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Krista

This is off the topic of my weight loss, but is a topic that has been on my mind incessantly for the last few days.

Krista, a good friend of mine, is a savior. She started an e-mail group addressing infertility for LDS families. I found the group in the dark days after my IVF failed, and it literally saved me. Finally I had people who understood what I was going through in the most intimate ways. I met some amazing people through that e-group, some of whom I count among my dearest friends. It would be impossible to count up the number of people whose lives have been positively impacted by Krista.

She learned a few weeks ago that she had a brain tumor, and surgery was rapidly scheduled for December 12th, this past Monday. Her husband sent out an announcement to the group, and then posted in her blog as well, about her status. The tumor was malignant. On the positive side, the tumor was significantly smaller than most malignant tumors. On the negative side, Krista now has to undergo radiation and chemotherapy.

Krista and Jared have two children. They tried multiple IVF procedures, none of which were successful. She did get pregnant once, but miscarried. They were blessed to adopt a beautiful son, Jacob, who is now 4, and a beautiful daughter, Emma, who is still a baby.

I'm praying for the best possible outcome for Krista and her family. I don't know how I would have made it through the darkest times in my life without her support. I hope that my support, through prayers and letters, can provide a small measure of comfort to her in her dark time.

No comments: