Wednesday, January 18, 2006

More Ramblings (I ramble a lot, huh?)

Well, Joe got the word yesterday. He is laid off as of 1/31/06. He is taking it pretty well, I think, although he is quite tense. He had an interview yesterday with a headhunter who informed Joe that he has been seriously underpaid. No kidding! Joe, in a desire to bring his appearance more in line with a serious candidate for employment instead of a rock star, got his hair cut yesterday. Now, he's told me before that he got his hair cut, when I suspect he really had the stylist wave the scissors near his hair. So I wasn't really expecting a cut. May I say, wow! He got it cut SHORT! And it looks fantastic--it's not a fuddy-duddy short hair cut like he is so afraid of getting, but it's quite stylish and makes him look younger. I got him some designer shirts & ties on Saturday (I love you, TJ Maxx), and he got some new dress pants, so he is looking extremely tasty these days.

He called me a few minutes ago full of lofty plans for the future, including getting a larger house with a huge kitchen and, not to cast aspersions on my housekeeping talents, said that he'd like to get a maid to come in once a week. Am I complaining? I think not. I'd love to have someone come in once a week to do the ooky work, like mopping floors and cleaning toilets. Frankly, I'd like to have someone come in once a day to do it all--cook, clean, etc. I'm not a domestic diva. No Martha Stewarts live at my house. I'm a great interior decorator, but I hate cleaning.

What kind of Mormon am I! gasp! I don't like to do crafts, don't like to clean, don't sew, don't have kids . . . . It's funny how easy it is to get caught up in the culture, and think you have to fit into this nice, neat little niche in order to be a member of the church. You don't, of course. It's not about having a billion kids or making all the bread for your family or having the cleanest house on the block or sewing all the clothes for your family. It's about your faith in God the Father, your belief in and acceptance of the atonement, about your belief in the restored gospel. Those things I have.

On Monday night, instead of watching the Golden Globes as I'd originally planned to do, I went to see Narnia with Joe. I'd seen it twice already, but he had not yet seen it. And he so rarely likes to go to the theatre that I will drop pretty much anything to go with him when he suggests it. As we were walking hand-in-hand from the car to the theatre, he remarked that we're really lucky we don't have kids, because we get to have a highly extended honeymoon. We could just get up and decide to go to the movies without having to get (or pay for) a babysitter. That's how I've been trying to look at it for a long time--if I can't have the blessings that come with having children, at least I can enjoy the blessings that come with not having children.

I am coughing and hacking up a lung today--I sense yet another upper respiratory infection coming on. Fortunately I already have a doctor's appointment set up for this Friday afternoon so that we can discuss the efficacy of the Effexor (I think he may raise the dosage, because the depression is still pretty severe, but it's better), so it won't be a problem to mention the drainage, coughing, sinus pain, headaches, yadda yadda. I'm hoping to convince him to write me a three-month prescription for the anti-depressants, so that I can get it filled through mail order before our benefits run out at the end of the month. I also hope that when he gets a new job, the insurance will allow us to continue seeing our current doctor, who is just the king of doctors. He's dealt with me through the depression, breast reduction, ADD diagnosis, and nervous breakdowns. We found him back in 1999, when we were starting the proceedings that led up to the IVF, as Joe got pericarditis about the same time I had my first laparoscopy. He was just wonderful, and we've stayed with him since. I love having a doctor that actually listens to me, and doesn't show in my presence how crazy he thinks I am.

I watched about an hour of "Earthsea" last night. I was enjoying it quite a bit, but wanted to go to bed early. Joe told me today that he did finish watching it last night, and liked it a lot. So I am planning to finish it tonight.

Oh, and I almost forgot--I got a letter from ECAP (the teacher certification program I'm hoping to attend this summer) yesterday. They said that I have passed all the preliminary requirements, and just had to do an online interview. I detest doing online interviews, but went ahead and got it out of the way last night. I'm scheduled to take my content area exam on February 18th. So assuming that I passed the interview yesterday and that I pass the exam on the 18th, I'll be all set to attend the job fair in May. Whee!

No comments: