Friday, February 23, 2007

Owlie-wow-owww

Every muscle in my body aches. You think I'm exaggerating, doncha? Well, check this out.

Hamstrings? ache. Gluts? ache. Gluteus maximus? aches. Trapezoids? ache. Deltoids? ache. Abs? ache. Other miscellaneous muscles that I can't identify because I didn't take anatomy? They ache.

When I say every muscle, believe me, I do mean every muscle. Honestly--I didn't know my butt cheeks could ache like this.

And when I say ache, believe me, I do mean ache. Let's just say that while the copier was running, I plopped myself down shamelessly on the floor in the copier room to do some stretches. Helped. For a few minutes, at least. While I was passing out copies, I was able to walk with a degree of flexibility. Of course, now I'm sitting down again, so the stiffness will recur. So at any given moment, anyone could walk into my office today and find me back on the floor doing stretches.

So I shed a few tears this morning when I got on the scale and found that it was up .6 pound. Logically I know that (a) I've been stressed; and (b) muscle weighs more than fat. And I've been building muscle. I have been doing a titch of stress eating, but even with that it hasn't been that bad. Probably if I hadn't been doing the degree of activity I've been doing, I'd be losing. So when I go for my official WW weigh-in tomorrow morning, it may show a gain. But THE SCALE LIES!! because all the scale measures is pounds avoirdupois. It doesn't measure my fat lost. It doesn't measure my muscle tone gained. It doesn't measure my blood pressure (117/70, thank you very much). It doesn't measure the improvement in my lipids panel (I'm going for a physical next Friday, so I'll have those results shortly). So I've got to quit attaching so much importance to the scale.

When I took my shower this morning I was admiring the increased muscle definition in my calves. I've got damn good legs, even if they are far fatter than I want them to be. Damn good legs. I'm just sayin'.

So I have my costume almost entirely figured out for the play. I'm going to wear my black and silver and white New York tee (it shows the NYC skyline pre 9/11, so the Twin Towers are proudly standing erect over my left breast) over a black skirt. The skirt is almost ankle-length, two layers of sheer fabric, but it's very easy to move in. I'll wear footless tights, probably, and they may be black or they may be fuschia or they may be lime green or they may be purple. I don't know yet. And I'm not sure what will be on my feet. Maybe I'll be barefoot. Maybe I'll wear ballet shoes. Maybe I'll wear high-top purple Converse. I dunno yet. And I'm going to wear hot pink panties. No one will see them, obviously, but I'll know they're there. And that's what's important. My hair will have lots of rainbow colors painted on the ends. And the makeup will be most excellently cool.

We're having a makeup rehearsal on Tuesday night, and we're taking the first batch of photos on Sunday 3/4. If I can, I'll post something here so you can see how cool (freaky) I look. 'K?

All right. What else can I rattle on about? I seem destined to throw people on their asses during rehearsal. On Wednesday night, during a game of musical chairs, I was so caught up in what I was doing that I pulled the chair out from under someone and she fell, quite hard, on her ass. Then last night someone else was spinning me around with a yoga strap, and I accidentally let go, and she landed on her ass. So I'm just wondering who I'm going to get next week.

It's also really cool to realize that words don't have to mean what they say. I'm a certifiable verbivore, so for me, that's saying something. Last night, in light of the horrible day I had, I did lose it at one point during rehearsal. But I had a 3-person blanket of love, and the words they were saying ("no bath water") really meant all kinds of different things. They meant, "We love you," "You can do it," "It's going to be all right," "Breathe," and more things like that. I felt, and feel, very loved and accepted. I like feeling that way.

3 comments:

Izzybella said...

I'm so glad you post here, because lately it's the only way I found out what's going on with you.

I'm really glad you are finding this such a great experience. In retrospect, I think it's fortunate that my part in the play is such that I don't come to all of the rehearsals, because in a strange way, I think NOT having me there makes it easier for you to do this--both in terms of bonding with your castmates and just giving in to the stage, so that you forget that's what you're doing. That's the most AMAZING experience in the world! Well, I think so, anyway.

Love your guts. Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday.

Hey, wanna see Oz with me? I always feel like it's work when I come back even to just see the show, but it'll be fun if you come with. I really do want to see it 'cause Todd wrote it.

Faith said...

Liz:

Accourse I want to see oz with you. I love to go see the shows. and I love seeing them with you.

It would be easy for me to do it whether you were there or not. It's not about you; it's about me. And I feel great about that. I LOVE my castmates. I mean, I've loved M-A since I met her. She is one of the most amazing people I've ever gotten to know. And V is very dear to my heart already. And H and D are also very cool. I wouldn't have missed doing this for anything.

Hey--you're going to be at the makeup rehearsal Tuesday, right? So we can ride together? And I'm going to the Juarez meeting on Monday, so we can ride together? 'Cause I need more sissy time.

Izzybella said...

Ruh-Roh. I didn't know there was a Juarez meeting on Monday-it's not on my calendar. Yes, I'll be there and you can ride with. And I'll be at the make-up rehearsal also, though I have NO idea what I'll be doing. Maybe on Sat. we can go over to Dusty's after our late lunch and see what we can find in the way of fun make-up.