Monday, February 26, 2007

My Weekend

(Before I write this, please note that I feel like a kid in school being asked to write an essay on what she did over the weekend. But I haven't been asked. I'm thrusting this on anyone who happens to be here reading. And I want to write it. But still. My Weekend?)

Friday night was pretty lame. It involved a quick trip to Subway for a tuna sandwich, the remote control, and my bed. Once the sandwich was disposed of, I turned on a movie I'd never seen before (and how have I gone this long without watching A Nightmare Before Christmas?). I fell asleep right after it was over, but woke up a little while later with a toothache. (Reminder to self: Call dentist, make appointment.) So I sleepily watched an hour of Pop-Up Video before putting in a Harry Potter movie and going back to sleep. For good that time, fortunately, because I was really really tired.

Saturday morning at weigh-in went pretty much as I'd figured. I was up .6 pound. I was NOT happy about it. But I went ahead with my plan to switch back to the flex plan on Sunday. Logically I can tell myself all I want to that I know that could be due to muscle gain or water retention, but I still want to lose pounds as well. If I were 60-70 pounds less than I am now, I could deal better, I think, with the scale not changing while my body still is. But when I'm still a good 80 pounds over my optimum weight, no matter how much my body is changing, I still have a fixed belief that the scale should change as well.

Joe and I went grocery shopping, and then he took me to brunch. But before we went to brunch, I had to change clothes. You see, my rocker husband wanted me to match him. So instead of my cute bright lime Tommy tee-shirt and my sneakers, I put on my New York tee shirt, a black jacket, plenty of black and silver jewelry, and my new black pinstripe sneakers. I admit I looked great. (Oh, yes, it's hard to be humble....)

And we stopped at Borders afterwards, and I bought a new book. Making Faces, by Kevyn Aucoin. I have to just stop right here and say, I heart Kevyn Aucoin. I've been wearing my makeup the same way for 15 years or more, with only slight variations, because I didn't know what to do differently. M-A has this book, and I was looking through it at rehearsal last week trying to get some ideas for makeup for the play. Well, I read it cover to cover this weekend, tried a few things out, and I look great today! I intend to go buy the rest of his books. It is just incredible what he can do for a face, with just a few items of makeup.

And S. and Izzybella and I had our girls' afternoon out. It was somewhat abbreviated for Izzybella, poor kid--she works box office part-time for a theatre in Arlington. The play was sold out; the show started late; and there were, as there always are, computer problems. So she couldn't join us until about 4. S. and I went to Ross and got lucky there--I found a fantastic red shirt with a huge black dragon on front. It's great, and may end up getting worn in the play instead of the New York tee. Our late lunch was fun, and, according to Princess S., calorie free.

That evening I went out and dropped some money on makeup and got Joe's birthday present (finally). And then went back home and read.

Sunday was spent mostly doing housework and some reading. I reread Wide Sargasso Sea. It's a good book--not quite the earth-shattering novel I considered it to be when I first discovered it 14 years ago, but it's good.

And, natch, I watched the Oscars. I like Ellen, and thought she did a nice job.

And that, friends, was my glorious weekend! It probably sounds really tame and boring, but I enjoyed it.

2 comments:

Izzybella said...

Ellen did do a really good job. I especially loved it when she foisted her script on Martin Scorsese and then when she got Steven Spielberg to take a picture of her and Clint Eastwood and she criticized his framing. That was SO funny!

Oh, and I also loved the song by Will Ferrell, Jack Black, and John C. Rielly. Too freaking funny. They should have won the Oscar just for that song.

And I also liked when the orchestra cut Al Gore off. He was a good sport to be a part of that joke!

Faith said...

Liz: I agree with all of the above. That was just hilarious. Joe wandered in when the Will Ferrell et al. song was on, and he thought it was hysterical. And yes, Al Gore was a good sport. Fun.