Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Music! Music! Music!

I love music. One of the great things about getting rid of the headaches is that I've been able to listen to music again. I have CDs playing all day at work again. I have the radio or a CD playing in my car all the time again. I have truly missed my music.

I also love discovering new songs. Well, new to me, anyway. They're probably not new to anyone else. I'd say, "Hey, I just heard this great new song! "Political Science," by Randy Newman." And they'd say, "That old thing? It's been around forever." And it has. Apparently I'm the only one out there who never heard it before. So I don't get out much, and I'm woefully lame. So sue me. (Actually, don't bother. I'm not worth the time and expense of suing. I'm just saying.)

The point is, what other fantastic songs have I missed out on? My husband thinks I'm like the music queen of the world because he hasn't heard of a lot of the stuff that's in our iTunes library. I hate to tell him how sheltered I truly am, despite the hundreds of CDs we own.

It's thanks to my sister (I love you, Zard!) that I found the Dandy Warhols and Poe. How banal my life would be if I didn't get to listen to such great songs as “Nietzsche,” “Godless,” and “Bohemian Like You” by the Dandies, or “Haunted,” “Hey Pretty,” or “Not a Virgin” by Poe.

Each time I get a new CD from Crazy Mixed-Up, I listen to it obsessively, picking out the songs that I just have to add to my new list of favorites. And I wonder how I managed to miss those songs before. That's how I found "One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces", which has been around since 1997. And I just met it several weeks ago!

Okay. So I’m begging you—list some of your favorite songs. Tell me who performs them, what feelings they evoke in you, why you like them, whatever you think I should know about them. Give me something to seek out. Expand my horizons. Get me out of this sheltered little isolation chamber I seem to be living in, music-wise.

What will you get out of it? Karma, baby. Sweet, sweet, musical karma.

1 comment:

Sam said...

Glad to hear the headaches are under control! Enjoy the music!