Tuesday, October 17, 2006

I'm tired.

I'm in the process of bullying my sister into moving a few months earlier than she'd been planning to. She needs to, and knows she needs to. But moving is such a horrendous job, and we come from a long line of packrats. I went over to her place last night, ostensibly to write lists, eat dinner together, and watch an episode of Buffy. I actually bullied her into going through her books, bagging up 8 bags of books to go to Half Price Books while I boxed up the remaining contents of the big bookshelf in the living room. I tore apart the bookshelf (that would have collapsed within a few months, being a cheap plastic jobbie from the Wall-2-Wall Mart) and threw it away while she sorted through the basket of mail on top of her end table. I wrote out her assignments to do tonight while she watches Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars, and promised to go back to her place again on Wednesday night, when we will finish the living room and start on the kitchen. I also promised to go back on Friday night and sleep over, when we will get even more work done. We then took some trash to the dumpster and the 8 bags of books to Half Price Books, where she got more than twice my less-than-optimistic guesstimate for them. And she took me to dinner even though I was a bossy bit-cah.

I've also been working really hard on pulling our employee appreciation event together at work. It takes place tomorrow, and I will be SO GLAD when it's done!!!!!!!!!!! Some of the managers have been whiny babies, and I had to completely rework our fundraiser. But one of the senior managers who's kind of got a reputation for being a whiny baby actually came through and is being a really good sport about things, and has already raised $52 for the American Cancer Society! I'm very happy about that. He's promising to try to sell more tickets, which is very nice of him, because for every ticket he sells, someone gets to throw a pie at his face. Well, "pie" meaning a blob of fake whipped cream on a paper plate, but it's still messy. And the person who raises the most money gets a real chocolate cream pie in the face as well, and I'm pretty sure it will be this guy. So I am truly appreciative that he has come through. And I have to say I have a little less respect for some of the other managers. I had actually volunteered to let people throw pies at me, but as the other managers pointed out, no one would be willing to do so. Apparently I'm too nice. My sister would probably disagree, but she doesn't work here and probably couldn't manage to be here to buy pies to throw at me anyway. But hey--if she wants to, for the American Cancer Society, I'd be happy to let her!

Well, my break's about over, and I really do have gobs of work to do, so I'm going to get back to it. Please send happy thoughts my way. I need to go sit in my car and scream at the top of my lungs, because I'm feeling that stressed, but I don't have time. Maybe while I'm driving home....

3 comments:

Izzybella said...

Okay, I realize from my sister's description, my apartment sounds messy, but it's not!! I just have a lot of stuff. Just to clarify...:)

No, I don't want to throw a pie in your face. Yet. Let's talk in a week or so!

Faith said...

Oh, no! No! No! Izzybella's apartment is exquisitely neat! And I'm not being sarcastic at all. It's very, very neat and tidy. She's just a tidy little packrat. You'd be astounded at how much she can cram into a tiny little space.

I am the slobby, messy packrat.

Just to clarify. :)

Izzybella said...

LOL! Packrattiness is in our genes. It's a fault, but one I happen to be okay with!

Besides how fun when you find (for example) a stack of pictures you completely forgot you had! Then you get to go through them and when your bossy bit-cah sister, goes "oooh, purty" then you can be nice and give her the picture even though she's a bossy bitcah! :)

I wouldn't love you as much if you weren't occasionally a bossy bitcah.