Monday, November 06, 2006

World Fantasy Convention

This may get broken up into several posts, but I'll see what I can do.

THE LOOT:
I was thrilled to find a nice bookbag full of books waiting for me. I was even more thrilled to find the trading table, where people kept taking books they didn't want anymore, and I kept snaring more and more books.

The Black Tattoo - Sam Enthoven
A Princess of Roumania - Paul Park
The First Betrayal - Patricia Bray
Cross Plains Universe: Texans Celebrate Robert E. Howard - Scott A. Cupp & Joe R. Lansdale, eds.
Smoke and Shadows - Tanya Huff
Night Wars - Graham Masterton
The Prodigal Troll - Charles Coleman Finlay
Best Short Novels 2006 - Jonathan Strahan, ed.
George and the Angels - Glenn Meganck
Ancient Fire - Mark London Williams
Thud! - Terry Pratchett
The Mount - Carol Emshwiller
The Vampire Who Loved Me - Teresa Medeiros
Shadow Touch - Marjorie M. Liu
Genetopia - Keith Brooke
The Eyes of God - John Marco
No Present Like Time - Steph Swainston
The Conqueror Worms - Brian Keene

I haven't read any of them yet, although I did start The Black Tattoo. It's a good read, as far as I can tell, but I did only get a few pages into it. I only took one book down to the trading table. It was a horror novel called Pandora Drive by Tim Waggoner. It was well written, but extremely squick-inducing. I don't like anything with child molestation, and there was a child who was being stalked and pursued through a fair amount of the book. Of course, even taking that out of the mix, it was still squicky enough that I don't know that I'd have liked it.

THE HOTEL:
The Renaissance, a Marriott hotel, in Austin. Very nice. The beds in our room were very firm, a little too firm for me to sleep comfortably. But the rooms were nice, and the lobby and meeting rooms were lovely.

I want to post about some cool people I met, but that will have to wait until tomorrow. I'll add some pictures, too, if I can figure out how to format them the way I want to!!!!

It's been a long day.

No comments: