Monday, November 06, 2006

Some Cool People I Met




Sarah Beth Durst (on the left on the left) is an extremely cool person. Her book Into the Wild, a YA fantasy, is coming out in June 2007. She did a reading from it at the convention, and it sounds like a LOT of fun. She likes the fairy tales, and brings them into the modern world in a uniquely entertaining way.

Clover, Heather, and I ran into her and Tiffany Trent, another YA author, at the Cheesecake Factory. Mmmmm . . . Godiva chocolate cheesecake. Huh? What? Okay, back to Sarah. As I said, extremely cool person. I'm adding a link to her blog on the right, so go check it out.

Tiffany Trent is on the right on the left, and she is also an extremely cool person. Her book Hallowmere is due out in fall 2007, I believe. I'll link to her site as well. I didn't get to spend as much time with Tiffany as I did with Sarah, but I'm definitely looking forward to reading her book when it's released. Oh, and be sure to check out Tiffany's book cover. The model is just beautiful, and looks like the unnatural offspring of Scarlett Johannson and Angelina Jolie. I'm not quite sure how they could manage that, without any y chromosomes, but check her out, and you'll see what I mean.

Oh--and even though I didn't meet them, the other writers in these photos, Jo Whittemore and Deborah Millitello, also have books coming out. Based on the excerpts they read for us, I have added them to my list. (I tried finding a website for Deborah Millitello, but was unsuccessful.)

OTHER COOL PEOPLE I MET BUT DON'T HAVE PHOTOS OF:

Eric Flint--my mother likes him a lot, and he has done quite a lot to progress the e-book movement.

Carole Nelson Douglas--she's a HOOT! She was staying on the same floor we were, so we kept running into her. She reminds me of Eliza Dushku (Faith/the dark Slayer) grown older. She wears awesome high heels, and cool vintage clothes, and has great stories to tell. I picked up one of her books on my way home from Austin, and devoured it in an hour or two (Cat in a Hot Pink Pursuit, in case you're interested, and yes, I recommend it highly. It's a mystery, and it's very entertaining. I came in near the end of this series instead of the beginning, and it appears that she has a huge arc in addition to the smaller book-sized arcs, because there were some mysteries that didn't get solved, so she's got me hooked.) I picked up two more of her books today, one a fantasy and the other a non-Midnight Louie mystery, and I expect to be as highly entertained as I was both by the book I've read so far and by her persona. So go read her, if you haven't yet. You'll thank me.

Elizabeth Moon. I honestly had no clue who she was, but was very amused the night I arrived at the hotel. Clover and Heather met me in the lobby, and as we entered the elevator to go up to the room, so did Elizabeth Moon. Clover said, "You're Elizabeth Moon! And you're in the elevator!" Elizabeth Moon said, rather dryly, that she does ride elevators from time to time. I ran into her (not literally, fortunately) on Saturday morning, and she said that she had just finished her bacon and felt like singing. I never felt like singing after eating my bacon, but hey, I say go for it!

1 comment:

Sarah Beth Durst said...

Hi Faith! It was so nice meeting you and your friends in Austin. And let me just say that you are the extremely cool person. Thanks for your kind words about me and INTO THE WILD. And thanks so much for linking my blog from your sidebar.

I love the pictures you posted from my WFC reading. It was so cool to see them on your blog. I'm definitely going to steal them to re-post on mine!

- Sarah