Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Buh-bye, now, NaNoWriMo

Okay. It was a good idea. Write a 50,000 word novel in a month. Just forge through the writing, don't go back and edit, don't worry about research, just get the writing done.

And I did get 9000 words written during the first week of the month. I even wrote every night while I was at WFC. Pretty impressive, eh?

The problem with it, for me, is (a) that' s just not how I work, and (b) the novel I'm working on requires intensive research. I just can't forge through the writing without getting the research done. I have forged through as much as I can right now. I now have to stop and forge through some pretty major research. I get to study Celtic magic, Celtic history and folklore, herbs, and aromatherapy. I get to take extensive notes. I get to figure out who's who. Then I can forge ahead with some more writing.

It has been a good experience. I learned from it. My muse was kind to me. One of my characters emerged full-grown and completely different from how I had expected her to be. I'm madly in love with her (nothing perverted, though), and can't wait to learn more about her. The protagonist has finally developed a mind and a voice of her own, and she's surprised me more than once as well. The book that I am writing bears little resemblance to the book I had planned to write, and I can thank NaNoWriMo for that. So I cannot call this a failed experiment. That said, I cannot wait to dive into Culpeper's Complete Herbal.

And even though you don't know it yet, you can't wait to meet Erea. So far I actually like her better than my protagonist, but I will admit that I know her better.

2 comments:

Sam said...

Writing is writing. You learned somethings and got ideas on paper... sounds like a success to me :-)

Anonymous said...

See, at least you started. I was like, so not happening.

Keep working at it. I want to read it.