Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Uninspired Lately . . .

I haven't posted much lately--I've either been working too hard on my other blog, or else I've been too uninspired to write, or else I've been too busy writing to write in my blog! So I stole this meme from Trista.

1. Who was your first Prom date? I only went to one prom--my high school senior prom--and it was with Derek K. I knew him from Sea Cadets, and we went out sporadically. He drove his Dad's Corvette with the moon roof, and we tried in vain to make out after the prom. But long dresses and tiny Corvettes don't make for easy making out. We gave it up as a bad deal and he took me home. The prom itself was boring as all get-out. It was held at some ritzy hotel in Dallas, and the dance floor was the size of a postage stamp. Crinolines and hoops were in that year, so only about 5 couples could fit onto the dance floor at one time.

2. Who was your first roommate(s)? Her name was Gayla. She worked with a friend of mine, and I let her move in on my friend's recommendation. Bad move. I found out after she'd lived there for a few months that, whenever I gave her my share of the rent money, she was spending it instead of paying the rent on time. And I was too ignorant to know that I was supposed to get her added to the lease, so the manager was coming after me for the money. Bad, bad experience. I ended up hating her cordially.

3. What alcoholic beverage did you drink the first time you got drunk? Whiskey.

4. What was your first job? I got paid to babysit my brother and sister during the summers, so if you want to count that, you may. My first job other than that and other baby-sitting jobs was at the customer service/gift wrap department at Sears.

5. What was your first car? I bought my Dad's old red Toyota Corolla and named it Charlie. Charlie and I stuck together for quite a few years. He finally died in Austin, and I got about $100 for him.

6. When did you go to your first funeral? I honestly don't remember. I think it may have been my grandfather's funeral.

7. How old were you when you first moved away from your home town? Less than two years old, although I don't know specifically--probably much younger. My dad was in the Navy when I was born. My mother lived part of the time with her parents and part of the time with his, until we moved onto the base with him. And then after he got out of the Navy, he was in the habit of moving every two years. So I've lived in a lot of places, and don't really have a home town, per se.

8. Who was your first grade teacher? Mrs. Gibson. I adored her. She was an enormous woman, one of those huge square women, with marcelled black hair. She used to tell me that I was the best reader in her class, even though I was the youngest. I was teacher's pet even then--how pathetic!

9. Where did you go on your first ride on an airplane? Miami, Florida. My Dad was working on the phone systems for the national conventions for the 1972 presidential elections, and Mom and my brother and sister and I flew down there for a vacation. I was very impressed with the fact that we were riding on a 747! We had a delightful time. We all wore tee-shirts encouraging people to vote. I remember getting sand in every orifice at the beach. I also remember enjoying walking into the different orange juice shops and watching them squeeze fresh orange juice. It was a fun vacation.

10. When did you sneak out of your house for the first time, who was it with? It was with my next-door neighbor--Rhonda, I think her name was. I thought I was being all cool and sophisticated, sneaking out at night. I've written about this earlier, in the entry about the magical summer. I didn't know then that my parents knew full well I was sneaking out, and didn't have a problem with it. They probably would have been more concerned if they knew what I was doing, but even so I didn't get into serious trouble. Just a little necking with Philip the slobbery wonder. Ugh.

11. Who was your first Best Friend and are you still friends with them? Dawn H. I haven't seen her since she and her family moved to Dothan, Alabama.

12. Where did you live the first time you moved out of your parents house? With some friends in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

13. Whose wedding were you in the first time you were a bridesmaid/groomsmen? I never was in anyone's wedding.

14. What is the first thing you do in the morning? Depends. If I've set my alarm for 5:30, I re-set it for 6 and go back to sleep. If I've set it for 6, I grumble mightily and then go pee.

15. What is the first concert you ever went to? I think it was Jerry Lee Lewis--my parents took me when I was a kid. The first one I actually bought tickets to was Van Halen.


16. First tattoo or piercing? No tattoos, and I got my ears pierced when I was 12. I had been begging my mother for at least a year or two, and she wouldn't let me do it before I turned 12.

17. First Celebrity crush? The kid in H.R. Pufinstuf. And then Donny Osmond after that.

18. Age of first kiss? 3. Donny. That's all I know about it. Don't really remember.

19. First crush? Donny. When I was 3. I have been told that he and I ran away from home and were caught walking down a busy street in Oceanside, California, on our way to the candy store.

20. First time you did drugs? Haven't. Won't. I have seen close-up how drugs mess up people's lives.

No comments: