Monday, March 05, 2007

Trying to Declutter my Mind

  1. Some (obviously not all) men can be incredibly vile and vulgar with women they don't know. Yesterday I learned the meaning of a signal that I never would have even noticed before, and I'm completely disgusted that a man would do that to four women who are obviously out in costume for a purpose beyond hooking. And even if we had been hookers, that's still disgusting. It's the kind of thoughts that leads to the behavior of the men who have so horrifically abused and murdered the women of Juarez (and elsewhere obviously, but Juarez is what's on my mind). I know some would probably argue with me that making an obscene gesture to strange women doesn't lead to rape, mutilation, torture, and murder. Obviously it doesn't in every case. But I believe that it's the thought that another human being is less than human, is an object for one's amusement and gratification.
  2. It is very easy for me to start performing on the sidewalk with the other cast members in the play. It is very difficult for me to walk down the sidewalk, in costume, and interact with people on the street. While we were performing, I was so engrossed with the performance and the other cast members that I couldn't even tell you whether anyone even stopped to watch.
  3. It can be very difficult to stay in character and in the moment sometimes, though. A man came up to V. and me, holding up a card that indicated he could not speak nor hear, and asking for money. We couldn't break, and continued. V. was trying to signal her husband to get out his wallet, but he didn't get the message. I think that poor man thought we were making fun of him, and it broke our hearts.
  4. There is a reason there are wide umbrellas over the tables in the courtyard. The four of us were seated at a table while photographs were being taken. Suddenly a huge plop of liquid bird crap landed on the table with a splat as we all hastily pushed our chairs away and got up. So the umbrellas are there for more than decoration.
  5. When you have mousse, texturizer, scrunch spray, hairspray, and 5 colors of hair paint in your hair, it feels really nasty. And if you decide to take a hot soak in the tub instead of a shower, know that you're going to have to change the bathwater before you can get clean. Because all that nasty goop comes off into the bathwater and gets it really nasty. So it's smart to take a quick shower first to rinse the goop off before taking the long hot soak in the tub.
  6. If you use eyeliner with glitter, take your contacts out BEFORE you wash your face. Because if you get glitter on your contacts it's almost impossible to get the glitter off. And it will hurt your eyes. And if you get glitter and soap in your eyes, it burns.
  7. Joe and I went to see "Wild Hogs" Saturday. It's a very funny movie. William H. Macy, IMNSHO, completely stole the show. When I laugh so hard that I can't breathe, I do this funny squeaking thing with my throat until I can catch my breath. Well, I squeaked through at least a third of the movie. And if you go see it, make sure you wait for the end after the credits start rolling. There's a very funny bit that ties everything up at the end.
  8. I wonder if I'll ever see a photograph of myself that I actually like. Joe took a few of me yesterday in my costume and makeup, and I think they're absolutely hideous. I don't look anything like that! I continue to wonder if I'm completely delusional about my appearance, because I think I'm pretty good looking most of the time. But I've almost never seen a picture of myself that looks anything but ghastly.
  9. There is no such thing as too many books. Unless you're a professor assigning textbooks, in which case the fewer the better because textbook companies rob students. Otherwise, though, books are like chocolate: the more the better. There is nothing chocolate can't cure; there is nothing that books can't cure. Yesterday I started reading a really good book at S's place, one that she recommended, and got about 75 pages into it before we had to leave. Page 66 made me cry. As soon as I hear back from her about the name and author, I'll post it here so y'all can read it. And I'll also go buy it. Because there is no such thing as too many books.
  10. Sometimes what you're doing is so interesting and fun that you don't realize you're exhausted until it's completely over and you sit down. And then it hits you. Yesterday was like that for me. I didn't feel like I did anything physically exerting, and for that matter didn't really. And I called my sister, who wanted to hang for a while, but she kept telling me she knew I was tired and I could just go home. But I kept insisting I wasn't tired, and wanted to hang with her for a while. So I went by there and lay on her bed while she put her laundry away, and realized that I was exhausted. Hence the hour-long soak in the bathtub that I mentioned earlier.
  11. I'm having a grand and glorious time participating in this play. I've made some new friends; I've learned a lot; and best of all, I'm doing something I've dreamed of for a long time. It's fun. If any of you are going to be in Dallas the weekend of 3/23 or 3/30, come see our play!!

There's a lot more clutter in my mind, but I figure this is enough for one post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dogs of babel by carolyn parkhurst.
i am really happy that you are enjoying that book. my aunt gave it to me last summer.